What are the steps invovled in developing the National Information Exchange Model (NIEM) Information Exchange Package Documentation (IEPD)?
NIEM IEPD development steps overview:
- Conduct Business Analysis and Requirements Review: This step defines the business requirements associated with an information exchange for which NIEM is used. It incorporates scenario-based planning, which is the
recommended methodology for elaborating the business context of events, incidents, or circumstances in which information exchange takes place.
- Complete Information Exchange Mapping and Data Modeling: This uses established methodologies to map and model operational information exchanges. Moreover, it describes the process a COI follows to map its data sources to NIEM and identify IEPDs available for reuse and/or gaps between its data source and NIEM. COIs can use the NIEM repository to search and discover existing data components to decrease the time needed to construct IEPDs.
- Build and Validate IEPDs: This step addresses the importance of using common documentation standards, such as IEPDs, to ensure there is consistency in the way information is captured, stored, and exchanged and that uniform methodologies exist to support the generation of the IEPDs. Once the COI validates its IEPD, it may submit the IEPD to its domain specific area (proceed to Step 5) or nominate data components for inclusion into universal or common (proceed to Step 4).
- Data Harmonization and Promotion: The appropriate NIEM governance stakeholders form a team to review an IEPD submission and determine whether any of the data components should be included in universal or common. The team evaluates the submission and makes a recommendation regarding which, why, how, and when to integrate the proposed changes into NIEM.
- Publish and Implement IEPDs: Once an IEPD is approved, it is stored in the NIEM repository. Other stakeholders or COIs can then search and discover published IEPDs for reuse or extend for a specific instance of the information exchange.
- Garner Feedback and Enhance and Expand IEPDs: This step describes how the COIs work with the NIEM Program Management Office (PMO) to ensure existing IEPDs remain up to date and compliant with NIEM.