NIEM Summary of Ehancements from RC 1.0 to RC 2.0
NIEM 2.0 Changes (summary)
Over 10,000 changes from NIEM 1.0 to 2.0:
· >5,000 component changes
· >5,000 code list value changes
· Universal + Common = NIEM Core (nc :)
· NIEM Core tagged/searchable as U or C
Re-modeled the following types:
· Location: Address, Latitude/Longitude, geographic coordinates
· Date, Time
· Facility, Correctional Facility (Structure removed)
· Entity (Person or Organization)
· Telephone number
· Revised many Core definitions
· Standardized Core definition formats
(type, abstract, augmentation, role, etc.)
New component metadata fields (for search/discovery):
· Key words - synonyms, slang terms, etc.
· Usage descriptions - describe specific use cases
· Examples - typical or sample values
· Reviewed Core data elements for NDR conformance
and ISO 11179 naming guidelines
· Moved components to/from Universal, Common, domains
· Justice namespace renamed Global Justice XML Data Model (JXDM) 4.0
· Geospatial namespace prefix replaced by geo:
· Reviewed and revised Identifiers (IDs) and IdentificationTypes
· Added new URI representation term and corresponding URIType
· Integrated Global JXDM 3.1beta
· Integrated ~30 resolved NBAC/NTAC NCCT issues
· Inserted ANSI-NIST Biometric standard in new namespace
· Removed some duplicate components from Core
· Applied additional 50+ adjustments requested by FBI
· More thorough integration with Core planned for next release
· Reintegrated domains to new Core
· Replaced inappropriate specializations with augmentations
· Repaired applied augmentations
New code lists and types:
· Department of Transportation: hazmat
· Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms: explosives
· Drug Enforcement Agency: drugs
· National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (NGA): horizontal datums
Updated existing code lists to most current:
· Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) 10-4 country codes (from latest NGA updates)
· ISO 639-3 language codes
· ISO 3166 country codes
· National Crime Information Center (NCIC) Technical & Operational Update (TOU) 06-2 (latest available)
· Corrected use of U.N. Economic Commission for Europe (UN/ECE) Rec 20 - now using common codes (not symbols) for units of measure
· Integrated 26 FBI NDEx issues and components.
· Remodeled EncounterType for Immigration and People Screening domains.
· Updated and repaired Immigration and Customs Enforcement ICE component definitions.
· Fixed a number of technical concerns from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI).
· Added new components and code lists for Suspicious Activity Reporting (SAR) IEPD.
· Remodeled Passport and integrated with Core for SAR and People Screening IEPDs.
· Updated NIEM to use Intelligence Community Information Security Markings (IC-ISM) *.
*Current FOUO nature precludes public release.
Other New Features
· Revised Naming and Design Rules
Draft Version 1.2 (7 Aug 2007).
· Techniques for Building and Extending NIEM XML Components Version 2.0.1
(7 Aug 2007); includes examples.
· Improvements to spreadsheet format.
· URI pages for both NIEM 1.0 and 2.0 rooted at http://reference.niem.gov/niem/
o Limited domain independent versioning.